A New Building for Our Global Community
For over 60 years St Catherine’s has been at the forefront of education in Athens. Opening in 1957 as a primary school in the gardens of the British Embassy with less than 30 children from Britain and the Commonwealth, we now teach well over 1000 pupils with more than 40 nationalities from the ages of 3 to 18. Day-to-day we live by our motto “Excellence and Happiness’’. We are an environment that not only nurtures the mind but focuses on our children becoming conscientious, independent, vibrant and well-balanced global citizens.
The St Catherine’s staff are undoubtedly our most valuable asset, bringing their skills, knowledge and vitality to ensure that our children are taught in the best way possible. Whilst we pride ourselves on the quality of our teaching staff, we also acknowledge that our facilities no longer reflect our leading school status. Not only have we outgrown our buildings but we are in need of state-of-the-art learning spaces. Our history and proven excellence has now given us the opportunity to create a new school environment that will provide an inspirational setting appropriate for students of a top British International School with a global reputation.
We are now ready to write the next chapter in the St Catherine’s story and build a new home worthy of our community.
Now and the Future: Educating Our Generations
Phase one of the project will see the regeneration of a now derelict building situated across the road from our current site. It provides the perfect opportunity to stay within the heart of our local community whilst also upholding our sustainable values. We will design a building that is welcoming, exciting, robust and practical and create a space for our students, helping them stay ahead of the curve with incredible facilities to match an innovative curriculum.
It will reflect the ethos of our teaching and inspire our students to become the innovators, creatives, thinkers, philanthropists, humanitarians, negotiators, educators, influencers, scientists - leaders of our future.
The new building will not only accommodate the Upper School but house key whole school facilities for all of our students, and what exciting facilities they will be!
They will include:
- A state-of-the-art 400 seat Theatre
- A 222m² Library with IB study room
- Science and IT laboratories providing the highest quality learning environments to promote science and technology of the future
- A Music Suite complete with practice rooms and a recording booth
- Outstanding Art rooms and spaces for exhibitions and events
- Brand new multi-faceted classrooms for each curriculum area
- Leisure facilities and outdoor seating on the converted roof
- Beautiful communal areas including a stunning atrium
- A spacious two-floor dining area, including a dedicated IB space
With the new Upper School, our current site will be reconfigured to allow the Lower School to enjoy all areas throughout the school. This includes:
- Dedicated Science Labs
- Dedicated Art Rooms
- A Hot-food canteen
- Eco-friendly outdoor areas
Phase two will see the building adjacent to the new Upper School transform into a whole school Sports Complex.
It will include:
- Six-lane indoor swimming pool
- Two dedicated multi-purpose sports halls
- Dance studio
- Six-a-side football pitch
- Climbing wall
- FIBA regulation sized basketball court
The final stage will see a whole new Lower School built and more details of subsequent phases will be released as the project progresses.